Welcome to Year 6
Please take a look at the end of this page for updates on Year 6 homework expectations, thank you.
This year we will be working hard to prepare for SATs and to ensure that children enjoy their time at school with their friends.
You can support your child by:
- Ensuring your child is reading appropriate Year 6 books DAILY (for at least 30 minutes sustained);
- Practising spellings daily;
- Using Mathletics and Reading Buddies for at least 20 minutes a day.
This is in addition to any homework set.
Our topics this term are Northern Ireland (first half term) and The Vikings (second half term). We will occasionally send home research projects on this for the children to work on - please support your child as best you can with this.
PE will be on Tuesday PM. The children are to wear their PE kit to school on that day. The PE kit remains unchanged - a white T-Shirt with black bottoms. School uniform is a red school jumper with a white or red shirt underneath or a red school fleece. Bottoms should be grey trousers or skirts - NOT tracksuit bottoms or leggings. Shoes should be black.
School starts at 8:45. It is important that children are on time to avoid contaminating other bubbles of children. We are all working to make sure everyone is kept safe. No bags should be brought into school (except a lunch box / bag). Masks need to be placed into a small freezer bag before children come into school. Temperatures will be taken before children enter the premises. Water bottles need to be brought daily. Together we can all get through this.
If you have any questions or wish to speak with me, please email the office for an appointment.
The Year 6 team.
- Children should logon to Mathletics daily
- Reading should take place at home each day
- The topics for homework this term are Classifications of Animals and Carl Linnaeus. Children can present this work as a PowerPoint Presentation, a poster or a piece of written work. The details of how to send all homework will be below
- Spellings (from the week beginning 5/10/20 the spellings will be 'week 5', these can be found on the spelling lists on the school website). Children need to learn these spellings and write them in a sentence using compound, complex, simple, relative clauses, parenthesis and fronted adverbials
- Times tables - children should be learning their times tables and corresponding division facts in preparation for a test each Friday
- All work can be emailed to the following link: KS2@spsm.hackney.sch.uk