Welcome to Year 2
Hello Parents and Carers
My name is Miss Markland and I am the Year 2 class teacher. We also have Kesha and Miss Ferdoushi who support us in the classroom. It is our ultimate desire that we encourage and support our children to become the best that they can be. Year 2 is grounded in the scripture 'I can do all things through Christ that strengthens me' - Phillippians 4:13. Our class motto is 'Don't be anything less than everything you can be'.
In Year 2 we work extremely hard but also have a lot of fun on a daily basis. I believe that a good parent and teacher partnership is a contributing factor to a child's success, so please support your child with their daily reading and homework.
- PE days are on Thursdays - Please ensure your child comes prepared for this day wearing their PE kit to school (white t-shirt, black shorts and black trainers) and not bringing their school uniform.
- Book bags / Reading - This term your child is not required to bring in a book bag or reading record. This is due to us limiting items going back and forth from school and home. Please ensure that your read with your child every day (whether it's books from home or books on Reading Buddies). On Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays we will be recording and asking your child to summarise what they have read.
- Mathletics and Reading Buddies - Your child has been given their Mathletics and Reading Buddies logins. Please encourage and support your child in logging in to Mathletics and ensure your child is reading the books on Reading Buddies every day and answering the questions. Mathletics and Reading Buddies certificates will be given out during Good Works Assembly on Fridays. Please let me know if your child experiences any difficulties logging on.
- Homework - every week your child will be given spellings and a maths 'learn it' piece of homework. Your child is not required to bring their homework in; however, they will have their weekly spelling and maths learn it test each Friday.
- Water bottles - Please ensure your child brings their water bottle to school each day
- Topics - Autumn 1 - Holidays, Continents and Oceans. This term in Literacy, we will be reading a book about Africa. Friday 9th October is 'African Day'. To support and consolidate our learning about the continent Africa, we would like your child to dress up in African attire. They can wear attire associated to any African country. Autumn 2 topics - Growth.
If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to make an appointment with me.