School Council / Playground Buddies
The school council meets once a fortnight with the Head Teacher to discuss important issues about school life and make plans for improvement. They canvass opinions from peers and give feedback.
The children's peers (not teachers!) voted for who they wanted to represent them as school Councillors. The newly elected members of the School Council promised loyally to be the voice of their class in their inauguration.
It is vital that we listen to and consider the wishes, thoughts and opinions of our children; they are after all the reason why we are here.
Playground Buddies are children who help the playtime supervisors to make playtime a happy time for children in the playground.
The role of Playground Buddies involves:
- helping children find new friends
- making children feel comfortable and welcome
- including children who are lonely and helping them to play games
- giving support to children to find solutions to a problem
- being fair and not taking sides
- helping children if they fall over and comforting them
- helping children to find something if they've lost it in the playground
- teaching new games
- asking the lunchtime supervisors if they are unsure of what to do in a situation
- helping to put away playtime equipment